From Vaudeville to the Silver Screen to the Small Screen, the Marx Brothers made an impact wherever people found them. Now Tom Fox and Mike Volkov have wedded their love of the Marx Brothers with their passion for compliance and bring them into the boardroom to help explain and explore the sometimes-chaotic world of governance, risk-management, ethics and compliance. In this episode they begin a three-part series where they discuss the movie A Night at the Opera and how it informs the 2019 in Compliance, FCPA enforcement actions and Compliance into 2020 and beyond. In this episode we review the year in compliance. Highlights from the podcast include:
- Why do many people consider A Night at the Opera the greatest of all Marx Brothers movies? What makes it AFI 100 worthy?
- What were some of the key regulatory pronouncements in 2019?
- How do the OFAC Compliance Framework and Anti-Trust Division Guidance inform ABC compliance?
- Why were the enforcement numbers so great in 2019?
- How did the role of compliance professionals strengthen in 2019?
- How successful was the DOJ in trying individuals in 2019?
Mike Volkov-A Record Year in Enforcement and Compliance