The lads mourn the passing of DC (Dorothy Catherine) Fontana this week. She was one of the earliest driving forces behind Star Trek and a great screenwriter. Jay mourns the Texans first in over his Patriots in the 21st Century and they then turn to some other of this week’s top compliance and ethics stories which caught their collective eyes.
1. Bribery and Corruption on trial. Boustani admits paying bribes but found not guilty. How did that happen? Rick Messick explains. Conversely, 6 FCPA defendants have been found guilty this year. Dick Cassin reports.
2. DOJ tweaks FCPA Corporate Enforcement Policy. Mike Volkov reviews. Davis Polk lawyers weigh in.
3. Assistant Attorney General Brian A. Benczkowski Delivers Remarks at the ACI Conference on the FCPA.
4. The most idiotic FCPA article ever.
5. Jay reminices on the founding of AMI and the creation of the independent integrity monitor.
6. What are ethical downsides to AI in FinTech and RegTech? Kristin Broughton explores.
7. Don’t encourage employees to speak up if you are not ready to listen. Bob Conlin explains why.
8. Fallout continues from massive money-laundering scheme ‘down under’. Jonathan Rausch.
9. A framework to think about ESG, corporate purpose and governace. Frank Glassner.
10. Ten things to do in preparation for CCCP. Lori Tripoli reports.
11. On the Compliance Podcast Network, Tom interview AMI MD, Mikhail Gordon for a sponsored podcast series on Aspects of Monitorships. In Part 1, why independence is so critical; in Part 2, the ABA on Monitors; in Part 3, How international teaching informs compliance; in Part 4 cultural differences in int’l and domestic monitorships and in Part 5, the evolution of monitorships.
12. Reflections on DC Fontana.
Tom Fox is the Compliance Evangelist and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Jay Rosen is Mr. Monitor and can be reached at email@example.com. For more information on how an independent monitor can help improve your company’s ethics and compliance program, visit our sponsor Affiliated Monitors at www.affiliatedmonitors.com.