Compliance into the Weeds is the only weekly podcast which takes a deep dive into a compliance related topic, literally going into the weeds to more fully explore a subject. In this episode we take a deep dive into Donald Trump ordering (via Twitter) the AG to reduce the length of sentence requested for Roger Stone and his pardons of 13 convicted white-collar criminals.
Some of the highlights include:
- What is the background to the Barr Sentencing Memo?
- Can white collar defense lawyers use the DOJ reasoning to decouple of the sentencing guidelines?
- What does all this mean for corporate culture?
- When will Trump start attacking companies for doing business ethically?
- What are the implications for the compliance discipline and CCO?
- What tensions does all this create for the corporate compliance and corporate legal functions?
- What happens when arbitrary behavior emanates from the top of an organization?
Matt Kelly blog post, Lessons from Justice Department Meltdown