Compliance into the Weeds is the only weekly podcast which takes a deep dive into a compliance related topic, literally going into the weeds to more fully explore a subject. In this episode, Matt Kelly (the coolest guy in compliance) and I take a deep dive into employees of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection who operated a closed Facebook group, replete with racist, sexist posts about migrants and Democratic politicians. For corporate compliance and governance professionals who think about the challenges of building a strong corporate culture, the mess at CBP offers a cautionary tale about the corrosive nature of subcultures.
Some of the highlights include:
- Why are subcultures so corrosive?
- What is Metcalfe’s Law and how does it apply here?
- What is corporate culture v. subcultures?
- How does an organization fight the growth of subcultures?
- What is the role of the CCO?
- Is all this simply protected speech?
For additional reading see Matt’s blog post What CBP Tells Us About Subcultures