In this episode, I am joined by Don Stern, Managing Director at Affiliated Monitors and former US Attorney for Massachusetts. We discuss the 93 US Attorneys offices across the US. How they work, how are cases worked up and their interaction with Main Justice in Washington.
Some of the highlights include:
- What is the Dept of Justice structure including the US Attorneys?
- What is the role of a US Attorney?
- Is policy set at Main Justice in Washington and then carried out in offices across the country?
- What is the relationship of the US Attorney offices to Main Justice?
- Does a US Attorney or the office decide to open an investigation or does the FBI or other investigative agency bring information to the US District Attorney and ask them to prosecute?
- If there is a prosecution of a Main Justice investigation, who staffs the matter at trial?
- How are cases worked up in US Attorney’s offices?