Richard Lummis and I are back and today we head in a different direction. We consider the final Bernie Gunther novel by Philip Kerr Metropolis. It is the final Gunther novel as Kerr died earlier this year. The novel is a prequel to the entire series, taking place in 1928, near the end of the Weimar Republic. Some of the highlights were:
- The city of Berlin as a character in the novel;
- Bernie Gunther as Phillip Marlow?
- How close are the police to those they police?
- What is the symbiotic relationship between the police and criminals of the city?
- Why is the Weimar Republic in many ways the undiscovered country for Americans? and
- Richard and I asses not only this book but the entire Gunther series.