Richard Lummis and I are back to continue our series of exploring leadership through the study of US Presidents. This episode begins a short series on Gilded Age Presidents, now largely forgotten. In this episode we take up Grover Cleveland.Some of the highlights include:
- Educational and Professional background of Grover Cleveland
- New York Politician including his term as Mayor of Buffalo and Governor of NY
- Election Campaigns, including Rum, Romanism and Rebellion
- Presidency including Reform (1stterm); the Tariff (1stterm); Military Policy (1stterm); Labor unrest and Pullman Strike (2ndterm) and Foreign affairs (2ndterm)
- Leadership Issues including (1) Why tone at the top matters? A Public Office is a Public Trust; (2) How Cleveland helped to return power to the Executive Branch; (3) When is the ‘vision thing’ needed? and (6) Servant Leadership- Officeholders are the agents of the people, not their masters.