In this special five-part podcast series, I am joined by Mikhail Reider-Gordon, Managing Director of Global Affairs at Affiliated Monitors, Inc. (AMI) the sponsor of this podcast series. In this series we discuss various aspects of monitorships, including why independence matters, the American Bar Association’s (ABA) Guidelines on Monitors, Gordon’s professorial career at the International Anti-Corruption Academy, cultural differences between international and US domestic monitorships and the continuing evolution in monitorships. In episode 2, we discuss the ABA Guidelines on Monitors. Highlights include:
· Mikhail’s involvement with ABA
· The ABA, via its Criminal Justice Section, issued Standards for Monitors. What are they and why are they important?
· Use of Monitors by more than DOJ
· The ABA Standards extend into civil and criminal proceedings.
· Monitors are known by a variety of names including external compliance officers, ombudsmen, Independent Private Sector Inspectors General (IPSIGs), etc