Compliance into the Weeds is the only weekly podcast which takes a deep dive into a compliance related topic, literally going into the weeds to more fully explore a subject. In this episode Matt and Tom go into the weeds to look at the SEC Chairmanship of Jay Clayton who announced he was stepping down at the end of the year. Some of the issues we consider are:
- Tom call it a mixed bag and Matt had mixed views?
- His first 12 to 18 had a series of crisis including a cyber breach at the SEC itself, the PCAOB scandal with KPMG and Crypto-currency issues.
- Matt felt Clayton did a good job of listening.
- He worked to open non-capital markets for investment.
- In the SEC enforcement action, he basically said Elon Musk was too important to Tesla to punish.
- His abortive move to head the SDNY was reputational disaster.