As Opening Day near and the Astros are predicted to unseat Jay’s Red Sox to win the 2019 World Series, both lads are eternally hopeful for their hometown heroes. While debating this issue, they also take a look at some of this week’s top compliance and ethics stories which caught their collective eyes this week.
- Former Hong Kong official sentenced for FCPA violations. Harry Cassin reports in the FCPA Blog. Matthew Goldstein reports on how to reduce your FCPA sentence in the New York Times.
- SEC awards two whistleblowers $50MM. Kristin Broughton in the WSJ Risk and Compliance Journal. Matt Kelly takes a deep dive in Radical Compliance. Doug Cornelius gets snarky in Compliance Building. Jonathan Marks weighs in on Board and Fraud.
- Jonathan Ruschand William Weaver debate whether corruption can be measured. Both on the FCPA Blog.
- Was it fraud or was it incompetency? The HP v. Autonomy civil trial begins in London. The BBC
- What is the difference in whistleblowing and extortion? Joe Mont explains in Compliance Week. (sub req’d)
- What are your supply chain risks? Russ Berland explores in Part 1 of a two-part blog post series on Corporate Compliance Insights.
- Looking at enforcement of financial market crimes in Canada and UK. Anita Anand reports in NYU’s Compliance and Enforcement Blog.
- What steps can you take to reduce whistleblower retaliation? Matt Kelly opines in Navex Global’s Ethics and Compliance Matters
- OECD slams Canadian government for interfering in SNC-Lavalin corruption investigation. Jonathan Rausch reports in Dipping Through Geometries.
- Join Tom and AMI’s Jesse Caplan for a 5-part exploration of emerging issues in healthcare compliance and monitoring. Check out the following: Part 1-Opioid Crisis-Legal issue; Part 2– Opioid Crisis-compliance solution; Part 3– the regulators; Part 4-the monitoring healthcare organizations; and Part 5-proactive monitoring. The podcast is available on multiple sites: the FCPA Compliance Report, iTunes, JDSupra, Panoplyand YouTube. The Compliance Podcast Network is now also on Spotifyand Corporate Compliance Insights.
- In Houston on April 11? Join the Greater Houston Business and Ethics Roundtable for a presentation for one year look back on GDPR. Registration and information are here.
- Check out the latest edition of Great Women in Compliance where Mary Shirley visits with Marianne Ibrahim.
For more information on how an independent monitor can help improve your company’s ethics and compliance program, visit our sponsor Affiliated Monitors at www.affiliatedmonitors.com.